20 Different Varieties of Rice
- Brown Rice. Brown rice has a mild nutty flavor that adds a pleasant taste to any brown rice dish.
- Basmati Rice. Basmati rice is one of the most popular types of rice in India and also pan Asia.
- Jasmine Rice.
- Mogra Rice.
- Bamboo Rice.
- Wild Rice.
- Black Rice.
- Red Rice.
Popular Rice Varieties of India
- Brown Rice. Brown rice has a good amount of Manganese, Phosphorus, Vitamin B6, fiber, and Selenium. It also has arsenic and soluble fiber.
- White Rice. White rice is the most commonly consumed rice in India. It is mainly cultivated in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
- Parboiled Rice. Parboiled Rice is best for diabetes patients. It has potassium, iron, calcium, and magnesium.
- Red Rice. Red Rice is rich in iron and it encounters the risk of cancer.
- Black Rice. Black rice is rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
- Palakkadan Matta Rice. Palakkadan Matta rice is a popular rice variety of Kerala. It is red in color and is rich in magnesium & calcium.
- Basmati Rice. Basmati rice is aromatic long grain rice. It is a good source of carbohydrates, minerals, and vitamins.
- Sticky Rice. Sticky rice is popular in Northeast India. It is good for strong immunity as it keeps the connective tissues strong and stimulates healthy brain functioning.
- Jasmine Rice. Jasmine Rice has a floral Aroma. Along with a delicious flavor, it has many health benefits.
- Bamboo Rice. Bamboo Rice is special rice that is grown in dying bamboo shoot. It has many nutrients like carbohydrates, fiber, and protein.
- Mapillai Samba rice. Mapillai Samba rice is basically grown in Tamil Nadu. It is high in fiber and also improves immunity and stamina.
- 1 How many rice varieties are there in India?
- 2 What are the varieties of rice?
- 3 What are the three 3 types of rice varieties?
- 4 Which variety of rice is best?
- 5 Which country rice is best?
- 6 Which rice is best for daily use?
- 7 Which rice is best for weight loss?
- 8 What’s the difference between jasmine rice and regular rice?
- 9 Is Basmati rice a sticky rice?
- 10 What’s better jasmine or basmati rice?
- 11 What is the most popular rice in India?
- 12 Can I use jasmine rice for sushi?
- 13 Which is the healthiest rice?
- 14 What is the most expensive rice?
- 15 Can we eat black rice daily?
How many rice varieties are there in India?
Today we still have around 6000 different varieties of rice in India, but ecologists estimate that we have lost tens of thousands of native varietals of rice in the last forty years or so.
What are the varieties of rice?
It’s easily one of the most consumed food worldwide, so it’s no wonder there are so many different types. Arborio rice. This your go-to rice for making any risotto dish. Basmati rice . This is a type of long-grain, Indian rice. Black rice. Jasmine rice. Brown rice. Red cargo rice. Parboiled rice. Sticky rice.
What are the three 3 types of rice varieties?
Rice is often characterized as one of three varieties – long grain , medium grain, or short grain rice. These varieties refer to the length and shape of the grain. Simply speaking, long grain rice will have a longer cylindrical shape, whereas short grain rice will be shorter and wider.
Which variety of rice is best?
Rice & Shine: 5 Popular Rice Varieties In Asia Jasmine Rice From Thailand. Arguably the most common rice variety across Asia, the medium-grain rice stands out for its distinctive floral fragrance, which alludes to its sweet-smelling jasmine flower. Koshihikari Rice From Japan. Broken Rice (Com Tam) From Vietnam. Basmati Rice From India. Black Rice From Across Asia.
Which country rice is best?
For the third straight year, the World Rice Conference has voted Cambodian rice as the world’s best .
Which rice is best for daily use?
Everyday Basmati : Everyday Basmati rice is known for its rich texture and flavour. This rice is the best choice for everyday consumption.
Which rice is best for weight loss?
Therefore, it appears that both types can be included in a weight loss diet. Nevertheless, brown rice has the advantage of being higher in fiber and nutrients than white rice , making it the healthier choice. Summary: Brown rice has been linked to weight loss and favorable blood fat levels.
What’s the difference between jasmine rice and regular rice?
White rice can have a short, medium, or long grain. Jasmine rice has a long grain and primarily grows in Southeast Asia, particularly Thailand. Due to its fluffiness and slightly sticky texture when cooked, it’s considered to have an excellent cooking quality ( 17 , 18 ).
Is Basmati rice a sticky rice?
High-quality basmati rice undergoes a two-year aging process specifically to dry it as thoroughly as possible, which in turn concentrates its distinctive flavors and aromas. Soaking it undoes all of this, while also making the rice more sticky , which is the opposite of what a properly prepared basmati should be.
What’s better jasmine or basmati rice?
They are both of the long grain variety, which means they cook up fluffy and not very sticky, so their grains remain distinct, although jasmine is plumper, softer, and a bit more moist than basmati , which has a firmer chew and drier character.
What is the most popular rice in India?
What is the most popular rice in India? Basmati and Kolam are the two most popular rice in India.
Can I use jasmine rice for sushi?
Best Rice for Sushi Use a short-grain Japanese rice . Longer grain rice , such as Basmati rice or Jasmine rice are not sticky enough and will lead to a different texture. The sushi will lose its shape if the rice is too dry.
Which is the healthiest rice?
Commonly presumed to be the healthiest rice option, brown rice retains the outer layer of the grain, known as the bran. This means that brown rice is 100% wholegrain, and has a mildly nutty flavour.
What is the most expensive rice?
Toyo Rice Corporation set a Guinness World Record in 2016 for the world’s most expensive rice with its $109 per kilogram Kinmemai rice .
Can we eat black rice daily?
In a 6-week study in 40 women with excess weight, those who ate a mix of brown and black rice up to 3 times per day on a calorie-restricted diet lost significantly more body weight and body fat than those eating white rice ( 31 ).